Topic Brainstorm

South African Folktales
This topic caught my attention because I had no prior knowledge about South African or furthermore South African Folktales. Some of the stories that caught my attention in this unit were stories about how the hunter and gatherers back in the day survived and persevered through the hard times. I also really enjoy stories about animals and many of these stories included animals.


Medved: The Bear Officer
This is a past story book that I spent a lot of time visiting and reading all about. This story caught my eye because I really like animals and feel like writing about an animal would be a good topic for my story book. I also have a fascination with bears because I grew up in Colorado. I think it would be interesting to look specifically into bears, where they originated from, where they currently live, and what their lifestyle is like across the nation.

Great Plains
The Great Plains unit caught my eye because it is something that I am kind of familiar with and learned about in school. One specific story that I would like to focus on is "The Buffalo and the Grizzly Bear." I liked this story because there is a conflict between two animals, Buffalo Bill and Grizzly Bear. The two animals fight back and forth and argue and in the end the Grizzly Bear is put into a scary situation and all the sudden decides to not be against Buffalo Bill anymore and asks him if they could be friends and stop the fighting. I like the plot of this story and think it could be useful for one I may write in the future.

I enjoyed reading about this story because I have always wondered why dogs and cats are enemies. I have knowledge on this subject because all of my dogs hate cats and will chase them. In this story the dog and the cat are working together to bring a ring back to their master. They each help each other out with things that the other one is not capable of doing such as swimming. In the end the cat reaches the owner first and is praised and fed. When the dog reaches the owner he is beaten and scolded. The cat never own up and gives the dog credit for what they actually achieved together. This created the idea that dogs and cats are enemies. I think this story line is one that I can definitely use in future stories. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an OU Cheerleader

Week 7 Storytelling, The Unlucky Well